Friday, August 31, 2018

Benbow Farm and Pond - John Perry KWVW-GSF - 6th Person Baptized in Pond




Benbow's Pond


Hill Farm & Benbow's Pond

Close to Gadfield Elm Chapel is Hill Farm, the historic LDS Church History site of 'Benbow's Pond'.

Hill Farm was originally the homestead of John and Jane Benbow who played a pivotal role in the conversion and baptism of all but one of the 600 members of the United Brethren's congregation, culminating in the bequeathing of Gadfield Elm Chapel to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in June of 1840.

At the pond near the Hill Farm farmhouse, Wilford Woodruff baptised the first of these converts on March 6th 1840, many of which ultimately migrated to the Western United States helping to settle parts of Utah, California and Arizona.

Today, the pond is owned by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and is available to visit. As you do so, please be considerate to the residents of Hill Farm which is a working farm that is not owned by the church.

Hill Farm can be found just off the B4214 just south of Castle Frome, England at co-ordinates 52.104153,-2.479043 or at PostCode HR8 1HL.





















John Perry Life Sketch

Life Summary Condensed from Life Sketch of Edith F Hatch (wife of grandson Ezra Taft Hatch)
John Perry was born 22 June 1799 Bishoptown, Herfordshire
He was the husband of Grace Ann Williams and father of Elizabeth Melissa Perry and Eliza Ann Perry.
Father: Richard Perry of Castle Frome, Herefordshire
Mother: Elizabeth of Bishoptown, Herfordshire

Occupation: master carpenter, cabinet maker and wheelwright
Minister of United Brethren 7 years

Conversion:
He heard gospel preached by Wilford Woodruff 5 Mar 1840
and baptized 8 Mar 1840, one of first 6 to be baptized.
He soon after was ordained an Elder.
Wife baptized 27 Mar 1840

Immigration:
Parents of nine children four of whom had died.
Left home in Ashperton, Herefordshire 7 Sep 1840
John, wife Grace, daughters Eliza Ann, Alice and Elizabeth Melissa 
and sons William and John.
Immigrated on ship "North America" under direction of Theordore Turley.
Son William died on the voyage and was buried at Staten Island 11 Oct 1840.

Nauvoo Period:
Alice and John died in Nauvoo.
Worked as a carpenter on Nauvoo temple during its entire construction.
Endowed 21 Jan 1846. Ordained a seventy in the same buiding.

Early Utah pioneer:
John, wife and daughter Elizabeth Melissa arrived in Winter Quarters 
late August or early September.
Spent time building shelters for families and wagon for the trek.
Left in Charles C Rich Company left from Elkhorn River 17 June 1847 .
Arrived in Salt Lake 3 Oct 1847.
Helped Construct the Old Fort and family wintered there.
Early in May 1848 family moved about 10 miles north to Barton Creek 
(now 2nd South and 3rd East, Bountiful) 
Later he moved to Stone Creek at a point just west of State Street. 
Early spring of 1849 he moved down into a hollow along Stone Creek 
in what is now called Old Call Corner, West Bountiful.
In Summer of 1949 built a log home and later a two-story adobe home in Woods Cross.
Called to preside over people of "South Bountiful" 
Member of the high Council of the first Stake of Zion Sept 1850.

Mission to England
1852 Called on a mission to England. 
Left Salt Lake 15 Sept 1852 arrived in England January 1853. 
Served in Herefordshire. 
Called to preside over the Wiltshire conference 7 Jun 1854. 
Released spring of 1855. 
Sailed from Liverpool 5 May 1855 with British Saints on "S Ship Curling"
Appointed captain of a company. 
At Mormon Grove, Kansas he contracted cholera and died after 9 hours. One who was with him reported that he spent several hours singing hymns before his death.

Addition by Ada Dittli
One day his wife saw a man standing under a tree some distance from the home. The next day she realized that there was no tree at that spot. Later she got word that her husband had died that day. When John Parry was set apart for his mission, he was promised that he would return to his family. I believe he did.


Gadfield Elms Chapel- United Brethren Converted to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints


Gadfield Elm Chapel

Gadfield Elm Chapel, in Worcestershire, England, was of great significance in the early history of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in the British Isles, acting as the focal point of Church activity for thousands of Latter-day Saints until the majority emigrated to the USA to fulfil their dream of building a new Zion in the United States of America. In 1840 President Brigham Young preached at Gadfield Elm Chapel which, at the time, was the only Latter-day Saint chapel in the world.

Gadfield Elm Chapel was built in 1836 by a primitive Christian Methodist group, the United Brethren, and was deeded to Wilford Woodruff, who received it on behalf of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in 1840 by John Benbow and Thomas Kington.

Almost the entire congregation of the United Brethren joined the church by baptism in 1840. As the new converts heeded the call to gather to Zion the Gadfield Elm Chapel became redundant and was sold, with the proceeds being used to assist with the emigration of the Saints.

Gadfield Elm Chapel, built of native stone and standing in the quiet countryside of Worcestershire, is the last surviving memorial to the United Brethren, a religious group who joined The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints en-masse upon hearing the 'restored gospel' message. It had a seating capacity of just 100 people.



The Gadfield Elm Chapel is located out in the countryside, down a narrow road, surrounded by farmland.  The majority of people who joined the church at the time of Wilford Woodruff were farmers living in the surrounding area.  The chapel is still in the middle of beautiful farmland today.











A sister from the local stake dropped by to prepare for an event to be held that evening.  There is a wonderful green-grass area, picnic tables, etc. surrounded by lovely fields in addition to the chapel and small visitors center itself.





Hereford, England, Cathedral - (Phillip Williams LHRW-XY6 Married )

Hereford, England Cathedral - (Phillip Williams LHRW-XY6 Married ) 







Thursday, August 30, 2018

Swansea Bay, Wales , Mumbles, Brecon (St Davids Church- Burial of Sarah Hooper (L8WZ-95P)

Swansea Bay Wales

Blackberry bushes everywhere!


Swansea Bay

Mumbles, Wales Street Fair

Mumbles, Wales

Wild Horses Along Roadside




Elder Parker in front of a picture of Dan Jones preaching in Merthyr Tydfil Wales.
At a December 1845 conference in Manchester, Elder Jones was assigned to preside over the missionary effort in all of Wales with headquarters in Merthyr Tydfil, South Wales. The city had experienced phenomenal growth in the previous two decades as thousands of tenant farmers left their hillside fields in exchange for the much higher-paying jobs in the burgeoning coal industry.

Merthyr Tydfil, Wales in 1860's

Near Brecon Beacons National Park Wales



Burial Place of Sarah Hooper (L8WZ-95P) Brecon, Wales